WHAT IS POLLUTION
- POLLUTION can be simply defined as “any thing which destroys and create an unhealthy Environment for peoples, Animals and other Creatures on the Earth”.
- Pollution may take any form(SOLIDS,LIQUIDS,GASES,LIGHT,SOUND,HEAT ETC].
- NATURE also adds enormous quantities of POLLUTION TO EARTH annually in the form of “Volcanoes and Wildfires” etc…
MAJOR TYPES OF POLLUTION
* THE MAIN TYPES OF POLLUTION ARE..
- The increased use of FOSSIL FUELS in power plants ,industries, mining, transportation, stone quarries led’s to AIR POLLUTION.
MAIN CAUSES OF AIR POLLUTION
*BURNING OF FOSSIL FUELS.
- The burning of fossil fuels will produce “SULFUR DIOXIDE” which is one of the major causes of AIR POLLUTION.
- CARBON MONOXIDE by combustion generally emitted from vehicles is another dangerous gas polluting the air.
- “MINING “is a process by which “MINERALS BELOW THE EARTH ARE EXTRACTED”. This is done using Heavy Equipment’s.
- During this MINING PROCESS, Dust and other chemicals are released in to the air causing massive AIR POLLUTION.
- This will affect the health conditions of the workers and nearby residents.
*EXHAUST FROM FACTORIES AND INDUSTRIES.
- MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES releases large amount of CARBON MONOXIDE,HYDROCARBONS,CHEMICALS etc. in to the air This reduces the quality of air and leads to AIR POLLUTION.
- WATER POLLUTION is caused by a variety of human activities such as Industrial, Agricultural and domestic.
- Natural sources of water pollution are Soil Erosion, leaching of minerals from Rock,decaying of organic matters etc.
MAIN CAUSES OF WATER POLLUTION
- INDUSTRIAL WASTE’S dumped into water bodies like Lead, Zinc, Copper, Mercury etc affects water Bodies. Consumption of such waters will leads to certain health problems namely Causing Rough Skin, Dry and thickening of skin. This eventually leads to SKIN CANCER.
- PESTICIDES like DDT and others used in agriculture will contaminate water bodies. Aquatic animals will consume this DDT and other pesticides and will die. This affects the entire “FOOD CHAIN” of Aquatic Animals.
- The OIL leakage from ships, oil tankers, rigs and pipelines will kill marine birds and affects other Marine Creatures.
- Mixtures of plastic, cloth, glass, sewage, metals etc from house hold and industries will lead to LAND POLLUTION.
- FERTILIZERS AND PESTICIDES from Agricultural use reaches soil and pollute Lands.
- Acid Rain and dry deposition of pollutants on land surface also contributes to LAND POLLUTION.
CAUSE OF LAND POLLUTION.
- Plastic bags made from low density POLYETHYLENE[LDPE]creates huge Environmental problems. This plastic bags blocks drains and sewage systems.
- Plastic bags which are left over with food, vegetable waste etc will be feed by dogs and cows and they may die due to digestion problems.
- Large quantity of Industrial Chemicals, dyes, acid etc will get mixed into soil and creates serious Health Hazards including Cancer.
- Agricultural chemicals especially Fertilizers and pesticides pollute the land.
- These are highly toxic chemicals which causes Respiratory problem will lead to Cancer and death.
- Noise created in industries such as stone cutting and crushing, steel forgings, loud speakers, movement of heavy transport vehicles, railways and air port will Couse NOISE POLLUTION.
- Noise pollution will lead to irritation, loss of hearing, high blood pressure etc.
CAUSES OF NOISE POLLUTION
- Cause of noise pollution can be mainly classified into two.
- Indoor sources include noise produced by Radio, Television, Electric fans, Air coolers, Air conditioners etc.
- Noise pollution is higher in Cities due to higher concentration of population and Industries. Transportation also adds to noise pollution.
- Outdoor source of noise pollution includes use of Loudspeakers, Automobiles ,Aeroplanes, Trains, Industries etc.
- Activities such as those at religious, social and cultural functions to noise pollution.
- Use of fire crackers during festivals, marriage function are also one of the main factor of Noise pollution.